Organic Pearled Barley
Serving Size: 1/4 cup (45 g)
Calories / Calories: 160
Fat / Lipide: 0.5 g1%
Saturated / saturés: 0.1 g1%
+ Trans / trans: 0 g
Cholesterol / Cholestérol: 0 mg
Sodium / Sodium: 4 mg0%
Carbohydrate / Glucides: 35 g12%
Fibre / Fibres: 7 g28%
Sugars / Sucres: 0 g
Protein / protéines: 4 g
Amount per Serving
Teneur par portion
% Daily Value
% valeur quotidienne
Vitamin A / Vitamine A: 0%
Vitamin C / Vitamine C: 0%
Calcium / Calcium: 2%
Iron / Fer: 8%
Ingredients: Organic pearled barley
Product Status: Certified Organic
Organic Certifying Body: Pro-Cert
Country of Origin: USA
Warning: This product contains wheat and gluten.
Hungarian Pearl Barley Soup Recipe
1/2 lb pearled barley
1/4 C warm water
3 leeks (white portion), chopped
4-5 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 Tbl flour
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of nutmeg
1. Soak 1/2 lb pearl barley in 1/4 cups warm water overnight. The next day, drain.
2. Add enough chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 2 hours. Add the white portion of 3 leeks, and celery. Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour.
3. Add chicken broth as needed to thin the soup to the desired consistency. Add a pinch of sugar and some nutmeg, if desired. Simmer over low heat for another hour.
1. Rinse barley using a strainer. Pick out any debris.
2. Allow barley to soak overnight in water if you want to reduce your cooking time. Use 2 cups of water for each cup of barley.
3. Decide whether you'll be using water or broth to boil your barley.
4. Use 2 ½ -3 cups of water/broth for every 1 cup of barley. Add your liquid to the pot.
5. Bring water/broth to a boil.
6. Add barley to boiling water/broth and stir together. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low.
7. Cook for 15 minutes (if barley is presoaked overnight). If barley is not presoaked, cook barley for 35-40 minutes.
Pearled barley not only has its husk removed but most or all of its bran as well. Because of this, cooking time is reduced and the texture is more palatable. It also contains both soluble and insoluble fibre.